Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Name Is Martin...

And one day i became a narcotics user...

I recently told this story in the Argentina Hardcore board, http://www.argentinahardcore.org/, and its only fitting that I tell it here also...

In 1997 i was locked up in the Lorton Complex, now closed but at one time of the U.S. worst jails, for having been caught doing graffiti 3 years earlier, getting a suspended sentence and probation which I apparently failed when I would make fun of my weekly drugs tests and the probation officer said I wasn't taking it seriously which resulted in a 6 months halfway house sentece of which I served 3 weeks and got jumped by some youngins and I never went back to once they let me out to eat, which led to a 2 year fugitive run and post arrest for the time owed, ok, back to the story, I was in Lorton for 6 months and I i had a release date for a tuesday but talking to the "locals" I found out that if you went to 10 Narcotics Anonymous meetings you would get 3 days off good time; hell, it meant a friday release, so off to the meetings I went...

First meeting I had to introduce myself in the all too familiar "my name is...", shit, what do I say? do I tell the truth and risk being "asked to leave" for disrespecting their meetings with even themselves as recovering addicts or do I play along and just say I have a problem... I came clean, explained that I was Straight Edge and had never done drugs in my life, hadn't had a drink in years, and I didn't even smoke cigarettes, although always had some on me to "buy" people's lunches at the mess hall, you could get somebody's whole tray for 3 cigarettes but that's a different story. I'm not sure if they truely understood, I think they thought of SxE more of a NA type of thing, and I kept going to meetings, all good so far until...

In one of my collect calls home, somebody tells me "yoo, watch Fox(or whatever it was) tonight, they are doing a special on SxE." cool i thought, let me figure out a way to get the TV, which is easier said than done, I kinda spoked to the head "dude" in charge and got his approval, normally all that would be on would be sporting events, as longs as it was a sport it was OK, this wasn't and a few complained but they let it ride. About halfway thru the show, they interview some Salt Lake City SxE kids who anybody who is familiar with them knows they are not the most sane people on earth and one of them said "Straight Edge means you have to kill drug dealers"... knot on the throat, automatically I had 30 sets of eyes looking at me "yooooo you wanna kill drug dealers?", you all can obviously guess the profession of most everybody there, I said "me? nah, thats the white boys chapter, latino SxErs don't do that", haha, it was the first thing that came to mind and it was one of the closest times I came to a serious beatdown...

Couple mental notes, it's funny how the progression of events lead to different outcomes, if I hadn't wanted to get out 3 days early I wouldn't have told them about SxE and maybe my health wouldn't have been threatened, and I wouldn't have laughed at my PO because he didn't believe I didn't do drugs and made me pee once a week then I would have so many later events would have been different, and who knows maybe, just maybe I would still be in the US, oh well, I wouldn't change a thing...

Heres the show that was my welcome home "party" on that sunday, coincidently the Safari Club/Chamber Of Sound had a fire that friday night I got out and the show was moved next door to a travesty hooker nudie bar... 
Hardcore Record Collector Tidbit: at this show Rain On The Parade sold their limited 44 DC cover, 44 is my favorite number and they did it to welcome me home...

5 comments:

  1. i had this old dude who ran 5 dorm get at me like "i dont fuck wit you because of all the skinhead tattoos you got." im like "yo this says 'zulu king'. would a skinhead push zulu?" after that he treated me all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was a good show. And yo ultra Miami had mad Zulu that repped skinhead. The late 80's early 90's damn good times

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great show, everybody was glad to see you back that day. I remember being super bummed I didnt get one of the dc covers, but they had sold out before anyone even got inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was our first time in DC. It was also the first time I ever met you, Martin.

    Me (lost, driving around DC endlessly): excuse me, can you tell me where K Street is?

    Pedestrian: Sure, what part of the city?

    Me: uh...

    Ped: NW? NE? SW? SE? <-- (important detail)

    Me: ???

    I have one of those DC cover 7"s. I probably had to wrestle it out of Summers' hands. It was a hot commodity that day, and is it has been one of our few records that seems to have retained some value.

    Good job with the blog Martin.

    -Ronny Little

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tattoo then they werent real Zulu. not only am i zulu, im a zulu king, got my medallion from bambaataa himself. there used to be a lot of fake-ass wannabees who just claim it for the fame, even in nyc... and there were no skinheads in lorton, shit yer lucky if u could find one white person who hadnt checked in to protective custody...

    ReplyDelete